Monday, September 9, 2013

Random CU Basketball Stat Day

Though I am certainly feeling the excitement of the UNDEFEATED football team (no, I don't care who it was over), I cannot suppress my desire for college basketball to start up.  And the winning ways of both the CU teams over the past 2 years has made me giddy as a schoolboy.  A schoolboy of roughly 11 to be more precise, back when the women's team (nee Lady Buffs) was on top of the world and I saw almost every home game.  But I digress... I was curious how our teams have fared over our first 2 glorious seasons in the Pac-12 and here are some interesting numbers I picked out of the results:

Combined men's and women's record, last 2 seasons: CU comes in 3rd in the Pac-12, with a win percent of 0.667.  Numbers 1 and 2 are Stanford and Cal, basically buoyed by their women's team (Stanford women are 64-4 over time).  Interesting note, though, is that CU men and women come in at .652 and 0.683 respectively, ie 0.011, aka very close.  For comparison, Stanford has a gap of 0.307 from their women to their men.  Also, there are only 4 teams with losing records.
Other notes: Wazzu and USC are the only teams with losing records for both men and women over those 2 years (though there are several teams that just scrape by).
On the men's side, conference play only, there is a pretty fast drop off from the top tier to the bottom tier (from Stanford at 19-17, to ASU 15-21, then OSU and WSU at 11-25).  The top 6 teams are within basically 0.1 of eachother.  The women are much more evenly spaced, but that also means the outliers (from Stanford at 35-1 to 'Zona at 7-29).

Basically, what I'm saying is, CU is the best.  Yay, numbers.

Parting Thought: For the purposes of these calculations, I used the men's "official" record, but I think we all know better...

No comments:

Post a Comment